It only happens every four years. And with February smack dab in the middle of Q1, having an extra day to crush obstacles is exactly what you need to finish off the quarter strong.
Leap Year can be a powerful tool for business owners – if that one day doesn’t go to waste. Direct Capital has put together some ways you can make the most out of February 29 this year. Use it wisely… you won’t see it again for a while.
- Build a new relationship: As a business owner, you know just how important networking really is. In fact, you’ve probably found many of your partners, customers, or investors at networking events. This year, use the extra day to make one more connection – a strong one. Meet someone you’ve been chatting with on LinkedIn for coffee and discover similar interests, how your business and theirs might be a match; or finally call that contact you exchanged business cards with at your last trade show. Whoever it is, now is as good a time as any to really solidify that new business relationship.
- Rest: Wait, what? Rest? How can you crush obstacles if you’re resting? Okay, so maybe resting won’t help you make that extra sale, but it is important to your mental health. Wouldn’t you rather spend one day completely turned off than an entire week (or month) full of unnecessary stress? Being relaxed helps improve efficiency and productivity, so use this day to rest your body and your mind.
- Get out on that sales floor: If you took last month to rest up, then it’s time to get in on the action. Sometimes, business owners can get so caught up in other day-to-day tasks that they forget the thrill of the chase. Let your sales team do their thing, but step in where needed to help close those deals.
- Build a Q2 plan: There’s only one month left in Q1, so it’s time to start evaluating and planning for Q2. Chances are, things have changed over the last few months and what you thought might work for Quarter 2 is probably a bit different now. Take all of those factors into consideration and use this extra day to build out an extensive plan for the next few months.
- Volunteer: Life can sometimes get away from us. And even though you might love the idea of philanthropy and try to practice it, it can be tough with all of your other responsibilities. Now that you have one more day this month, use it to finally make good on your promise to volunteer. Pick your favorite charity and see how you can help for the day. There may even be members of your team that are interested in participating too. Team building and helping the community is a great way to make the most of the extra day.
- Play catch up: Do you have piles of paperwork you haven’t managed to get done? Or does some of your equipment need fixing or updating, and you haven’t gotten around to calling the right people to do it? Well, February 29 is the perfect day to make those things happen. Jot down a quick list of all outstanding items you need to focus on and use this day to organize and accomplish.
So what will you do with the extra day this month? Whatever you choose to do, just make it productive, make it fun, and make it useful!